OnePlus recently announced the OnePlus 5T and also mentioned that the Android Oreo Open Beta will be soon hitting the OnePlus 5 devices. Keeping up with the promise, OnePlus has already started rolling out the first ever Open Beta update for the OnePlus 5. The new beta software brings Android 8.0 Oreo alongside few extra features for the OxygenOS.
The OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 1 changelog shows the following:
- Updated to Android O (8.0)
- Added Parallel Apps
- Added Picture in Picture
- Added Auto-fill
- Added Smart text selection
- New Quick Settings design
- Updated security patch to October
- Added notification dots
- New app folder design
- Now able to upload photos directly to Shot on OnePlus
Before beginning with the installation, keep these points in mind:
Installing this update will cause no data loss and all your applications and files will remain intact. However, we recommend you to take a full backup of your smartphone before starting with this procedure. It is also suggested to format the device before installing the Open Beta ROM for better performance. We also request you to read the steps carefully and follow each and every step. Before starting the process make sure your OnePlus 5 has at least 50% charge.
Now to install the official Open Beta 1 on your OnePlus 5, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Download the OnePlus 5 Open Beta 1 build for your smartphone.
- Step 2: Power off your smartphone.
- Step 3: Go to recovery mode by holding power and volume down buttons simultaneously until you see something on the screen.
- Step 4: Once you enter the recovery mode, tap on "English" and then tap on "Install from ADB" and confirm it by tapping on "Ok"
- Step 5: Connect your smartphone to your PC or Mac using the OnePlus USB Type-C cable.
- Step 6: Once connected, open command prompt in Windows or terminal in Mac
- Step 7: Run the following command
Windows: “adb sideload <filename>”
Mac: “./adb sideload <filename>”
Once the process is completed, your OnePlus 5 will boot into the Open Beta 1 with Android 8.0 Oreo.