Google has finally released Android 9.0 Pie for the Google Pixel devices. The update should soon make it to the Android One devices like the Xiaomi Mi A2 and the Nokia 7 Plus. If you are wondering when you Samsung, Oppo or Xiaomi device will receive it, that solely depends on the OEMs and they might take some time as they have to get the latest version of Android and customise it. If you have a Google Pixel device, here’s how you can get the Android 9 Pie update.
Before beginning any of these processes, make sure you take a complete backup of your smartphone.
One of the simplest ways to get a software update on any smartphone is via OTA (Over-the-Air). It makes the process simple, it is also usually safe and does not require a computer. The same method will work for the Google Pixel, OnePlus or any other device.
- Open up the Settings app on your smartphone
- Head over to About Phone>System Update
- Tap on Check for Updates
If an update is available, you will be prompted and you can download and install the update easily. The whole process might take some time as the update itself will weigh over 1GB.
In case you are excited about the Android 9 Pie and cannot wait for Google to push the OTA update, here’s how you can flash the update on your Google Pixel device.
- First, you will need to download the Factory Image of the latest version of Android for your smartphone.
- Head over to Settings>About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number
- Now go to Developer Options in the Settings app
- Here you have to enable USB debugging and OEM unlock
- Now plugin your Pixel device to your PC using the USB Type-C cable
- Fire up the command prompt on your PC
- Boot your Pixel device into bootloader mode using the following command
adb reboot bootloader
- Once that is done, type the command
fastboot flashing unlock
- Your phone will now ask for confirmation where you have to select Yes using the volume buttons
- In the Command Prompt, now type
- Extract the factory image files using 7zip
- Now copy all those files and put them in the Android SDK>platform-tools folder. The folder will be in the C drive under Program Files (x86).
- In that folder find a file which shows a gear logo also known as “Windows Batch File.” Open that file.
- Now the installation process will start and make sure the device does not unplug during the process
You now have the latest iteration of Android up and running. Android 9 Pie will soon be available for Android One and OnePlus devices via an OTA update.