Xiaomi recently showcased their latest iteration of the MIUI operating system, the MIUI 10. They have now gone ahead and announced the global beta version of the operating system. In this guide, we are going to list out all of the steps required during the process of installing the MIUI 10 global beta on your Xiaomi smartphone. The company claims that the software is powered by AI and comes with features like AI Portrait allowing for depth of field shots with just a single camera and AI Preload which pre-loads apps based on the user's usage patterns. Along with all those AI features, the MIUI 10 also brings with it a UI redesign, which includes a new notification Panel, a new recents menu along with much more. The company claims the new UI is optimized for devices with a high screen to body ratio like the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Currently, not all Xiaomi smartphones are supported by MIUI 10 global beta, however, the company is to soon make the ROM available for more of its devices. As of now, the first batch of devices which can update to the beta ROM include the Mi 6, Mi Mix 2, Redmi S2, Redmi Note 5 Pro, Redmi Note 5, Mi Mix 2S, Mi 5, Mi Note 2 and the Mi Mix. A word of caution, the beta version of operating systems are generally buggy and can cause crashes. Therefore we advise you not to install this ROM on your primary device.
How to: Install MIUI 10 Global beta on eligible Xiaomi smartphones
If you are currently running MIUI 9 global beta, you would have already gotten an OTA notification for the MIUI 10 global beta update. If not, you can get this by the following the steps listed below. Before starting we recommend that you take a backup of all your data as it will be wiped during the installation process.
- Download and install the MIUI ROM flashing tool from Xiaomi's website.
- Mke sure your smartphone has an unlocked bootloader. If not, do so by following the steps listed on the company's website.
- Select the ROM version corresponding to your smartphone.
- Switch off your smartphone, and then press the volume down and power button simultaneously to enter fast boot menu.
- Connect your device to your a PC.
- Double click on the downloaded ROM to decompress it.
- Open the folder where the ROM was saved after decompression and copy its file path.
- After installing the MIUI ROM flashing tool, you will get a file named MiFlash.exe on the Desktop. Open the software and paste the file path you copied in step 7 on the top address bar.
- Click the button labelled Refresh and you will see your device in the list below.
- Click flash to start the process.
- Wait until the progress bar turns fully green. If all went correctly your device should now automatically boot into MIUI 10.
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research on custom ROM flashing and side-loading ROMS. YOU are choosing to make these modifications and any result positive or negative, you will be responsible.