Xiaomi recently unveiled the latest iteration its custom UI based on Google's Android operating system, called MIUI 12. It brings a host of new features along with various improvements to the user interface. One of the key features is the introduction of Dark Mode 2.0, which makes the phones with AMOLED displays look visually more appealing.
MIUI 12 is currently available under the company's closed beta program for developers. To recall, Xiaomi used to offer Global Beta versions of its MIUI software before, however, with MIUI 11, the company has stopped with that step of its development process. Now regular consumers can do nothing but wait for the stable release to roll out.
But if you are a person who wants to try out the latest software before everyone gets to do so, you can still test the closed beta version of MIUI 12 by manually flashing it on an eligible Xiaomi smartphone (list of eligible Xiaomi smartphones to install MIUI 12).
For this to be successful, you will require an eligible Xiaomi smartphone for which the company has released the developer beta. Take note, the smartphone should also have an unlocked bootloader.
On the software front, you will be required to have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on the smartphone. This will help you in manually installing MIUI 12 Closed Beta ROM onto your smartphone.
Take note, the Closed Beta ROM is made for the Chinese variants of the eligible smartphones. This means that it will not come with Google Play Services or any other Google app. Also, the language options are limited to English and Chinese only.
Another point to keep in mind is that these Closed Beta versions are not stable enough to run on one's primary device. Also, during the process, there are chances you might end up bricking your device. So, everything you do to install the MIUI 12 Closed Beta on your Xiaomi device is at your own risk.
If you are willing to take that risk, just follow this simple guide to download and install MIUI 12 on your Redmi Note 7, Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi K20 or any other eligible Xiaomi smartphones.
Download MIUI 12 Closed Beta ROM from the following links
- Redmi Note 8 Pro
- Mi 9
- Mi Mix 2
- Mi 10 Pro
- Mi 9 Pro 5G
- Redmi K20/Mi 9T
- Mi 8
- Mi 8 Pro
- Mi 9 SE
- Mi Note 3
- Redmi Note 7/7S
- Mi Max 3
- Mi Mix 3
- Redmi K30 5G
- Mi 8 Lite
- POCO X2/Redmi K30 4G
- Mi Mix 2S
- Mi 9 Lite/Mi CC9
- Redmi K20 Pro/Mi 9T Pro
- Mi 6
- Mi 8 SE
- Mi Note 10/Mi CC9 Pro
- Mi 10
- Redmi Note 7 Pro
- Mi 6X
- Redmi Note 5/Redmi Note 5 Pro
After the download is complete, you can begin with the installation process.
(Note: This process will wipe your device clean. It is recommended to take a complete backup before initiating the install.)
If your Xioami smartphone already has a custom recovery installed, you can skip to Step 3.
Step 1 - Unlock Xiaomi phone bootloader
- Download ADB drivers and the Mi Flash Tool on to your PC.
- On your phone, head over to the About phone page and tap on MIUI version 7 times. This will enable Developer Tools on your device.
- Sign in to your Mi Account if you haven't already done so.
- Head over to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Tap on Mi Unlock and press the 'Add account and device' option.
- Switch off your smartphone.
- Open the Mi Flash Tool on your PC and make sure the Android drivers are installed in the same folder.
- Sign in to your Mi Account inside of the Mi Flash Tool.
- Now put your phone in Fastboot mode by holding the power button and volume down button together for a few seconds.
- Connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Tap on Unlock.
Step 2 - Install Custom Recovery on Xiaomi phone
Once the Xiaomi device is successfully unlocked, you can then flash a custom recovery like TWRP and Orange Fox on to it.
To install a custom recovery on to your smartphone, you will be required to download a recovery image from a source like XDADevelopers for your smartphone. Once it is downloaded, shift the file from downloads folder to the ADB folder.
- Put your phone on Fastboot mode.
- Connect it to your PC using a USB cable.
- Now open CMD from the ADB folder.
- Enter the command - 'fastboot devices' to check whether the PC has recognised the device or not. If not, download and install the latest Android drivers from the internet.
- Now enter the command 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img'. Here 'recovery.img' should be replaced with the file name of the recovery file you have downloaded.
Step 3 - Flash MIUI 12 to Xiaomi phone
- Transfer the MIUI 12 Closed Beta ROM you downloaded during the first step to your Xiaomi device's internal storage.
- Now open the custom recovery which you installed on your smartphone during Step 2. To do this, simply turn off the phone and then press and hold the power and volume up buttons.
- Inside of the custom recovery, use the 'Wipe' option to wipe cache, Dalvik cache, system and data.
- Now click on 'Install' and flash the MIUI 12 build, you put inside of the internal storage.
In case you are unable to flash the file, try downloading it again or switching to an alternate custom recovery.
Once all the steps are completed successfully, your Xiaomi device will be running the MIUI 12 skin. Do remember, the first boot after the flash will take around 10 minutes.